DONA Approved Birth Doula Workshop
A Birth Doula:
- Recognizes birth as a key life experience, understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a person in labor.
- Assists an expectant family in preparing for and carrying out their plans for their birth.
- Offers continuous support throughout labor and birth.
- Provides emotional support, practical comfort measures, an objective viewpoint and information to aid in decision making.
- Acts as a liaison between a laboring person, their partner and clinical care providers.
- Does not replace partners or clinical care providers.
This workshop will be of interest to:
- Those who have an interest in pregnancy and birth and who wish to become a trained doula.
- Health care professionals who wish to expand their knowledge of labour support.
- Approved for 10 CEU’s with Massage Therapy Association of Nova Scotia (MTANS).
- 24 Category A CEU’s with PEI Massage Therapy Association (PEIMTA).
- 13 Category A CEU’s with College of Massage Therapists of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Earn 15 hours toward DONA Postpartum Doula Recertification.
- Approved for CEU’s for Lamaze Childbirth Educators.
- 12 secondary CEU’s for MTWPAM.
Cost varies depending on the training location, but, on average, the three-day workshop costs between $475 +HST CAD and $575 + HST CAD and includes “Childbirth for Doulas” (a requirement for certification) and at workshop manual.
Request a Workshop
Workshops may be available by request. Please click the button below and complete the form and Trena will be in touch.
How do I become a DONA Certified Birth Doula?
Birth Doula training is comprised of a 16 hour DONA Approved Workshop that covers all you will need to know to educate and support expectant parents and her support team. For your convenience, “Childbirth for doulas”, a requirement for certification, is included in the three day workshop- that’s two steps toward certification at one time!
While not everyone who attends the workshop will choose to become certified, they will leave with the skills necessary to begin working with families right away, and to begin the certification process should they choose.
Steps to becoming a DONA Certified Birth doula are explained in the workshop, and are clearly outlined on DONA’s website, Birth Doula Certification.
What is the cancellation policy?
Refunds will be given 30 days or more prior to the start date, less a $50 administrative fee. Refunds will not be given within 30 days of the workshop, however, the participant is welcome to apply the fee to a future workshop (the same workshop they originally registered for) within one year of the workshop date.
Are babes in arms permitted to attend?
Babes in arms (typically 3 months and under) are welcome to attend the workshop, however, we ask that you step out of the room if they begin to make sounds that may be disruptive to other participants (happy or sad). Please contact the facilitator if you have any questions.
“Trena’s facilitation style is interactive and her experience level allows participants to learn a diversity of skills. She brings professionalism, a deep knowledge of how to best support families, as well as her welcoming personality into all that she doe. It is because of her coaching and mentoring that I was able to develop the confidence to start my practice as a doula.”
~ Ashley, Birth and Postpartum Doula