Approximately every 68 seconds, a person is sexually assaulted in North America. If you are working with pregnant birthing and postpartum families, you will have clients who have been sexually assaulted, whether they self-identify or not.
In this full-day workshop, facilitated by Jenn Fontaine of Birth Roots, we focus on:
- Common challenges experienced by the perinatal professional providing care to a sexual abuse survivor
- Types of abuse
- Brain development and brain changes as a result of trauma
- The impact of trauma on the brain and brain development
- Understanding toxic stress
- The impact of childhood sexual abuse on:
- The pregnancy period
- The birthing period
- The postpartum period
- Clinical challenges and possible solutions
- Triggers and how to help your clients manage them
- Supporting abuse and trauma survivors through the childbearing year
- Navigating the birthing experience without experiencing additional trauma.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- The importance of consent
- Tools for provider self-care
To Register please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “When survivors give birth”, along with your name as you would like it to appear on a certificate, and an email money transfer, or register online at trenagallant.com and pay via paypal. Cost is $150 plus 15% HST.
There are a limited number of spots that will be offered on a sliding scale- if you feel as though this workshop is not financially accessible, please email to discuss options.